Concordia High School Varsity Girls Tennis Team Posts 2nd Place Finish at 2019 NCKL Meet in Chapman

Concordia High School Varsity Girls Tennis Team Posts 2nd Place Finish at 2019 NCKL Meet in Chapman

The Concordia High School Varsity Girls Tennis team posted a 2nd place team finish at the 2019 North Central Kansas League Meet, hosted by the Chapman Irish on Monday, October 7th.

Team Results:
Abilene - 50 pts
Concordia - 32 pts
Clay Center - 22 pts
Chapman - 16 pts
Wamego - 16 pts
Marysville - 14 pts

Individual Results:
#1 Singles: Arista Bombardier - 3rd place
Defeated Grace Lauer of Marysville 8-2
Lost to Sophie Jones of Chapman 8-2
Defeated Claire Wohler of Wamego 8-2
Lost to Shiann Olberding of Abilene 8-1
Defeated Jaylee Callaway of Clay Center 8-3

#1 Doubles: Ciara Kearn & Macy McMillan - 3rd place
Defeated Spurgeon/Schroller of Marysville 8-5
Defeated McIlquham/Morgan of Chapman 8-3
Lost to Donahue/Alexander of Wamego 8-7 (2)
Lost to Beswick/Lillard of Abilene 8-5
Defeated Girton/Stratton of Clay Center 8-3

#2 Singles: Riley McMillan - 2nd place
Defeated Faith Flower of Marysville 8-2
Defeated Tiarra Martin of Chapman 8-0
Defeated Allie Cross of Wamego 8-5
Lost to Allie Cross of Abilene 8-6
Defeated Rylee Ehlebracht of Clay Center 8-4

#2 Doubles: Bethanie McCall & Nicole Turner - 3rd place
Defeated Sanchez/Housley of Marysville 8-6
Defeated Armbruster/Mosher of Chapman 8-7 (4)
Defeated Wamego 8-0
Lost to Gillispie/Sims of Abilene 8-5
Lost to Gaug/Paget of Clay Center 8-7 (5)

The Varsity accomplished a lot today and came away with some important wins that will help in the Regional Seedings," Coach Mike Wahlmeier told KNCK Sports.

The Concordia High School Girls Tennis team will compete in the Class 4A Regional Tennis Tournament hosted by the Abilene Cowgirls on Saturday, October 12th.   Other participating schools include Abilene, Buhler, Chapman, Clay Center, Hesston, Nickerson and Wamego. 

Concordia is one of six 3A girls schools that will participate in class 4A Girls Tennis in the postseason.  Based on the classification system, schools participating in Girls Tennis in Classes 1A through 4A are added together by the Kansas State High School Activities Association.  40% of these schools participate in Class 4A Tennis and the remaining 60% are classified as 3-2-1A.  For the 2019-2020 school year, there are 80 schools in Girls Tennis Classes 1A through 4A, so Concordia falls in the 40%, or 32 schools, that qualify as a 4A team.